The Community Living BC Complaint Process

CLBC, a Crown agency under the Ministry of Social Development (MSD), is mandated under the Community Living Authority Act to fund supports and services in communities for adults with developmental disabilities.

The  first step is to meet with a CLBC Facilitator to determine if your family member is eligible for services and, what service s/he needs. If the outcome of this process does not result in any support, inadequate levels of support or, you feel that you have not been treated appropriately, there is an internal CLBC Complaint Resolution Process as follows:

Speak directly to a Manager at your local CLBC office.

Community Planning & Development Manager (Richmond):

230 – 5611 Cooney Road
Richmond, BC  V6X 3J6
Phone: 604-660-2100

Quality Assurance Manager (Richmond):

210 – 1200 Lynn Valley Road
North Vancouver, BC  V7J 2A2
Phone: 604-981-0321

CLBC’s 3-step Complaints Resolution Process

STEP 1 – File a Complaint, It is Easy

Choose from three easy ways to make a complaint:
1. Click on the File a Complaint link on the front page of the CLBC website. Complete the short on-line form and click ‘send’ or download a form to fax or mail it in.

2. Contact the CLBC Quality Assurance office directly at 1-877-660-2522 and a member of the staff will take your information over the phone.

3. Visit any CLBC office and ask staff to assist you with filling out a short form.

TIMELINE 5-10 minutes

STEP 2 – Regional Review

CLBC’s Quality Assurance Office will determine the appropriate CLBC staff person to review your complaint, based on the nature of the complaint. The person reviewing your complaint will contact you within 2 business days to confirm receipt of your complaint.

The CLBC staff person will initiate the review, contact you directly and provide a written response to your complaint. The timeline for resolution will depend on the complexity of your complaint.

The response will include a decision, recommendation(s) to resolve the situation and information about additional steps you may wish to take if you are not satisfied with the decision.

TIMELINE – First response in 2 business days

STEP 3 – If Necessary

If you are not satisfied with the review, contact CLBC’s Quality Assurance office directly at 1-877-660-2522 or

A Senior CLBC manager will contact you within 2 days, initiate a review of the regional decision, and provide a written response within 10 days.

If you are not satisfied with the response, you will be invited to contact CLBC’s Chief Executive Officer who will conduct a review and submit a written decision to you within 10 days.

TIMELINE – First response within 2 business days

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of CLBC’s 3-step Complaints Resolution Process, take the following additional steps:

Contact other Government Bodies

Advocate for Service Quality (Adults with Developmental Disabilities)

Phone: 604-775-1238

The BC Ombudsperson

Toll Free: 1-800-567-3247

The BC Ombudsperson is an officer of the provincial legislature independent of government and political parties responsible for making sure that the administrative practices and services of public agencies are fair, reasonable, appropriate and equitabl

Contact your MLA

Legislative Office for all MLA’s:
East Annex
Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4

Teresa Wat
Richmond Centre
300 – 8120 Granville Avenue
Richmond, BC V6Y 1P3
Phone: 250-953-0910
Fax: 250-953-0928
Phone: 604-775-0754
Fax: 604-775-0898
Linda Reid
Richmond East
130 – 8040 Garden City Road
Richmond, BC V6Y 2N9
Phone: 250-953-4887
Fax: 250-356-0596
Phone: 604-775-0891
Fax: 604-775-0999
John Yap
Richmond Steveston
115 – 4011 Bayview Street
Richmond, BC V7E 0A4
Phone: 250-953-0919
Fax: 250-387-9066
Phone: 604-241-8452
Fax: 604-241-8493

Contact other Politicians

STEP 1. Write to the Minister of Social Development and Poverty Reduction responsible for Community Living BC.
Visit the following website to see a list of current cabinet members and their related ministry responsibilities along with their contact information:

STEP 2. When writing to the Minister, ensure you send a copy to the Opposition critic (shadow cabinet) for Community Living BC.
Email to find out who the current Opposition critic is.

STEP 3. Write to the Premier.
Visit the following website for the Premier’s contact information:

If you can’t find what you are looking for, or prefer to call the BC Government General Inquiries lines:
Monday through Friday, 7:30am – 5pm Pacific time
Victoria: 250-387-6121
Vancouver: 604-660-2421
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-663-7867

Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD):
Vancouver: 604-775-0303
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-661-8773

Go public with your story

Inclusion BC (formerly BCACL) has been speaking with media looking for families who are having difficulty accessing vital services. If you are willing to tell your story to your local media, Inclusion BC can help connect you.

Phone: 604-777-9100

If you need help at any time during the process, you can contact any of the following organizations for support:

Inclusion BC
Inclusion BC’s mission is to advocate for children, youth and adults with developmental disabilities and their families to ensure justice, rights and opportunities in all areas of their lives. You can contact Inclusion BC if you need someone to advocate for you. Sometimes Inclusion BC will connect you with someone in your community who can help, and other times Inclusion BC will get involved directly with your situation.
Phone: 604-777-9100
Toll Free: 1-800-618-1119

The Family Support Institute (FSI)
Staff in the FSI office can help navigate systems and connect you to other family members who are volunteer Resource Parents for support.
Phone: 604-540-8374
Toll Free: 1-800-441-5403