The Ministry for Children and Family Development Complaint Process

The Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) funds a range of programs and services for children and youth with special needs and their families.

If following eligibility acceptance and planning with a Social Worker, MCFD does not provide any support or adequate levels of support, or if you feel that you have not been treated appropriately, you are encouraged to resolve your complaint informally with your ministry worker. This is usually the fastest and easiest way to try and work things out. However, if you have already discussed your concerns with your worker and are not satisfied, if you don’t have a worker, or if you feel uncomfortable discussing your concerns, the Complaint Resolution process is available to you.

The Complaint Resolution Process is a two-step process that varies slightly from region to region, but the principles and standards remain the same.

Step 1: Local Review

Either you or your ministry worker can, individually or with the assistance of a regional resolution consultant, request the ministry worker’s team leader review your concern.

Team Leaders: Richmond
#130-5840 Cedarbridge Way
Richmond BC V6X 2A7
Phone: 604-660-9260

Regional Resolution Consultants: Coast Fraser
Phone: 604 660-1548
Fax: 604 660-5072

Step 2: Make a Complaint

Contact your local Ministry office and ask to speak with a Complaints Specialist.
Phone: 604-660-9260.

Click here for more details on how to make a complaint with MCFD.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of MCFD’s two step Complaints Resolution Process, take the additional following steps:

Contact Other Government Bodies:

If you have completed the Complaint Resolution Process and are still not satisfied you have further options:

Representative for Children and Youth
(up to and including transitioning youth age 19-24)
The Representative for Children and Youth provides advocacy services to ensure that the voice and views of young people are heard and that their rights and interests are upheld in decisions that are being made about them.

Phone: 1 800 476-3933
Fax: 250 356-0837

The BC Ombudsperson
Toll Free: 1-800-567-3247

The BC Ombudsperson is:

  • an officer of the provincial legislature
  • independent of government and political parties
  • responsible for making sure that the administrative practices and services of public agencies are fair, reasonable, appropriate and equitable.

Contact your MLA

Legislative Office for all MLA’s:
East Annex
Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4

Teresa Wat
Richmond Centre
300 – 8120 Granville Avenue
Richmond, BC V6Y 1P3
Phone: 250-953-0910
Fax: 250-953-0928
Phone: 604-775-0754
Fax: 604-775-0898
Linda Reid
Richmond East
130 – 8040 Garden City Road
Richmond, BC V6Y 2N9
Phone: 250-953-4887
Fax: 250-356-0596
Phone: 604-775-0891
Fax: 604-775-0999
John Yap
Richmond Steveston
115 – 4011 Bayview Street
Richmond, BC V7E 0A4
Phone: 250-953-0919
Fax: 250-387-9066
Phone: 604-241-8452
Fax: 604-241-8493

Contact other Politicians

STEP 1. Write to the Minister of Children and Family Development.
Visit the following website to see a list of current cabinet members and their related ministry responsibilities along with their contact information:

STEP 2. When writing to the Minister, ensure you send a copy to the Opposition critic (shadow cabinet) for the Ministry for Children and Family Development. Email to find out who the current Opposition critic is.

STEP 3. Write to the Premier. Visit the following website for the Premier’s contact information:
Phone: 250-387-1715 (Victoria)
Fax: 250-387-0087

If you can’t find what you are looking for, or prefer to call the BC Government General Inquiries lines:
Monday through Friday, 7:30am – 5pm Pacific time
Victoria: 250-387-6121
Vancouver: 604-660-2421
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-663-7867

Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD):
Vancouver: 604-775-0303
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-661-8773

Go public with your story

Inclusion BC (formerly BCACL) has been speaking with media looking for families who are having difficulty accessing vital services. If you are willing to tell your story to your local media, Inclusion BC can help connect you.

Contact  the Director of Communications at Inclusion BC:

Phone: 604-777-9100

If you need help at any time during the process, you can contact any of the following organizations for support: 

Inclusion BC (formerly The BC Association for Community Living (BCACL))
Inclusion BC’s mission is to advocate for children, youth and adults with developmental disabilities and their families to ensure justice, rights and opportunities in all areas of their lives. You can contact Inclusion BC if you need someone to advocate for you. Sometimes Inclusion BC will connect you with someone in your community who can help, and other times Inclusion BC will get involved directly with your situation.

Phone: 604-777-9100
Toll Free: 1-800-618-1119

The Family Support Institute (FSI)
Staff in the FSI office can help navigate systems and connect you to other family members who are volunteer Resource Parents for support.

Phone: 604-540-8374
Toll Free: 1-800-441-5403