Richmond School District Complaint Process

Step 1:  Speak directly to your child’s Classroom Teacher and/or Resource Teacher

Step 2:  Speak to the School Administrator (Principle or Vice Principle)

Step 3: Contact a Special Needs Administrator

Phone: 604-668-6000
Fax: 604-233-0150

Step 4:  Ask for a review by the Area Superintendent connected to the school your child attends.

Phone: 604-668-6000

A list of schools covered by each Area Superintendent is available on their website:

For transportation related issues, contact the Manager of Transportation

Phone: 604-668-6000
Fax: 604-668-6687

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the Richmond School Districts Complaint process, take the additional following steps:

Contact other Government Bodies

If you have completed the Complaint Resolution Process and are still not satisfied, you have further options:

Representative for Children and Youth
(up to and including transitioning youth age 19-24)

The Representative for Children and Youth provides advocacy services to ensure that the voice and views of young people are heard and that their rights and interests are upheld in decisions that are being made about them.
Phone: 1 800 476-3933
Fax: 250 356-0837

The BC Ombudsperson
Toll Free: 1-800-567-3247

The BC Ombudsperson is:

  • an officer of the provincial legislature
  • independent of government and political parties
  • responsible for making sure that the administrative practices and services of public agencies are fair, reasonable, appropriate and equitable.

Contact your MLA

Legislative Office for all MLA’s:
East Annex
Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4

Teresa Wat
Richmond Centre
300 – 8120 Granville Avenue
Richmond, BC V6Y 1P3
Phone: 250-953-0910
Fax: 250-953-0928
Phone: 604-775-0754
Fax: 604-775-0898
Linda Reid
Richmond East
130 – 8040 Garden City Road
Richmond, BC V6Y 2N9
Phone: 250-953-4887
Fax: 250-356-0596
Phone: 604-775-0891
Fax: 604-775-0999
John Yap
Richmond Steveston
115 – 4011 Bayview Street
Richmond, BC V7E 0A4
Phone: 250-953-0919
Fax: 250-387-9066
Phone: 604-241-8452
Fax: 604-241-8493

Contact Other Politicians

1. Write to the Minister of Education.
Visit the following website to see a list of current cabinet members and their related ministry responsibilities along with their contact information:

2. When writing to the Minister, ensure you send a copy to the Opposition critic (shadow cabinet) for Education. Email to find out who the current Opposition critic is

3. Write to the Premier. Visit the following website for the Premier’s contact information:

If you can’t find what you are looking for, or prefer to call the BC Government General Inquiries lines:
Monday through Friday, 7:30am – 5pm Pacific time
Victoria: 250-387-6121
Vancouver: 604-660-2421
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-663-7867

Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD):
Vancouver: 604-775-0303
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-661-8773

Go public with your story

Inclusion BC (formerly BCACL) has been speaking with media looking for families who are having difficulty accessing vital services. If you are willing to tell your story to your local media, Inclusion BC can help connect you.

Contact  the Director of Communications at Inclusion BC:

Phone: 604-777-9100

If you need help at any time during the process, you can contact the following organizations for support:

Inclusion BC (formerly The BC Association for Community Living (BCACL))
Inclusion BC’s mission is to advocate for children, youth and adults with developmental disabilities and their families to ensure justice, rights and opportunities in all areas of their lives. You can contact Inclusion BC if you need someone to advocate for you. Sometimes Inclusion BC will connect you with someone in your community who can help, and other times Inclusion BC will get involved directly with your situation.

Phone: 604-777-9100
Toll Free: 1-800-618-1119

The Family Support Institute (FSI)
Staff in the FSI office can help navigate systems and connect you to other family members who are volunteer Resource Parents for support.

Phone: 604-540-8374
Toll Free: 1-800-441-5403